Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eyes, nose, and Ears OH MY!

This week we started adding facial features to our skulls. I think this has been the lesson i have been looking forward to all semester. It has also been the hardest lesson for me since starting the some of the earlier features.

Ever since i decided i wanted to be an art teacher i knew that i wanted to be able to draw the face. In my 9th grade Intro to art class our biggest project was to make a self portrait. I remember it was not an easy task but i loved the challenge. I remembered my teacher telling us little pointers on how to draw along the way but i was still not exactly comfortable with  my abilities after leaving the class. So this week was important to me because someday i may end up teaching students how to draw the face and i want to know that i feel comfortable giving them the best possible lesson i can. So, certainly this is week one but i already feel more comfortable with the information i have learned that if i work for it i think i am more prepared to teach that lesson then ever before.

One thing that i really need to focus on is NOT falling into the big eye trap. I already did as we worked on our first full face drawing but Amy helped me see that i had drawn the eyes to big. Psychologically we want to make the eyes big because people are so drawn to this feature but in order to make our figure look more like a person and less like a disney animation its important to represent the eyes appropriately.
So certainly i still have a lot of work ahead of me but i'm hoping that when i turn in my final self-portrait i will have a successful piece to share given what i have learned from class and i will have a piece that blows my 9th grade picture out of the water.

*Images to be added*

1 comment:

  1. I think that the reason we draw the eyes to big is because that is usually the first thing we look at on a person. I feel like that is usually the first thing that I look at on a person, especially in their face. So, naturally we think that since it is the first thing we look at that it gets the priority of the face, making us draw them huge and like a pair of owl eyes.

    ReplyDelete